Ricardo Energy & Environment
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy, core to Ricardo Group’s vision of creating a world fit for the future. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges. To achieve this, we combine world-leading energy, climate change and environmental expertise with powerful power systems engineering, IT, knowledge management and economics capabilities.
Our business consists of a team of over 650 consultancy staff and we work globally for governments, international agencies, infrastructure operators, regulators and commercial organisations as a leading provider of analysis, advice and sustainable solutions. We also have a track record in leading and delivering major multi-partner transnational programmes.
The Power Planning & Solutions team is part of the Sustainable Infrastructure & Operations Business Unit. The team comprises a group of highly experienced professionals specialising in techno-economic and management consultancy services for the energy sector, with particular emphasis on the power sector, including system planning, tariff studies, renewable energy integration, regulation and smart networks. We are a committed team of like-minded professionals with a growing portfolio of energy technology, policy and strategy projects
Projects are split between the UK and overseas – the team have undertaken assignments in nearly 100 countries. We have a broad range of clients, including multi-lateral lending agencies, governments, regulators, electricity companies, natural resources companies and private. In the UK we are involved in pioneering assignments working closely with distribution companies in the application of smart technology to improve the utilisation of electrical distribution systems. Our strength lies in our ability to combine strategic, financial/economic and technical advice as an integrated consultancy service to public and private sector clients.
We operate in the following market sectors for public and private organisations:
* National Electrical Infrastructure
* Transport Energy Infrastructure
* National Heat & Cooling Infrastructure
* Local Energy Systems
We are seeking a Business Development Manager with proven experience in:
* Finding and winning consultancy opportunities developing new services for current clients and expanding the offer of current services to new clients
* Delivering year on year improvements in revenue in a consultancy, focused on profitable growth
* Working collaboratively with industry partners to develop new offers to the market
* Understanding the impacts of evolving changes in the international energy and carbon market, and reacting to market needs
* Working with a delivery team to ensure continued delivery of best in class service, including taking a Project Director role on projects within their technical experience and capability
* Working with a wider business development team to support new opportunities across different business areas and different international markets
You will be responsible for supporting the development of our International Electricity business sector, with a particular focus on South and South-East Asia and engagement with both the private sector and international funding institutions.
The role will involve networking, developing leads and winning new business with private and public sector customers and funding agencies, developing propositions and tailoring these for specific market sectors, as well as working with the marketing team to create and support campaigns and marketing initiatives. As well keeping abreast of energy infrastructure funding agency initiatives and identifying requirements for new services within the market, the individual will be responsible for their own direct sales to new customers, identifying opportunities and developing senior level customer relations with an environmental and energy focus.
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional and consultative business development individual looking to enhance their skills further within an innovative and fast paced environmental consultancy business.
You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment
We would consider applicants for this post on a full time or part time basis, with the option of periodic homeworking and flexible working. The role will demand both UK and international travel and require a full UK driving license.
* You will have a proven track record of identifying and converting market opportunities to profitable sales of consulting services. You will have the ability to understand and explain our services to key decision makers, and develop compelling solutions tailored to their needs.
* Design and implement a sales plan that uses the existing service offering to increase the current market presence overseas, particularly in international developing countries, with both private sector and international finance institutions.
* Establish and maintain existing relationships at senior levels within the target customer base.
* Establish internal relationships with consultants across the wider Sustainable Infrastructure & Operations Practice and Ricardo Group to support their sales and business development strategies.
* Work closely with the delivery teams to ensure clear communication of customer requirements and match this to implementation capacity.
* Supporting project teams by acting as the Project Director on key assignments and maintaining senior level contacts with the client counterparts.
* Contribute to identifying new offerings and market requirements that the business can develop and sell to existing or new customers through established or new channels.
* Identifying and communicating intelligence on market requirements and opportunities.
* Creating profitable customer solutions.
* Proactive management of sales funnel and activity.
Key competencies and experience:
* You will have a technical or business background with relevant experience covering some or all of these areas:
* A detailed knowledge and understanding of the international energy sector, international finance institutions and relevant experience in energy systems infrastructure relating to technical advisory, engineering and project management consultancy.
* Practical experience of power consultancy assignments worldwide.
* Proven experience/ability in new business development/generation.
* The ability to demonstrate strong pipeline management with strong commercial acumen in order to generate and close business.
* Professional business manner and working practice, able to set an example for colleagues.
* Capability and willingness to be self-sufficient in prospect generation, with support from the wider team, including marketing to supplement their own activity.
* Positive engagement with customers, partners and colleagues in pursuit of successful sales outcomes.
* High levels of drive and commitment; a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to turn ideas into reality.
* Ability to network successfully within the organisation, to make connections with key resources and experts across the business to achieve their business development objectives.
* Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal including proposal writing for both ‘Government tenders’ and private sector pitches.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.